How To Prepare A Winter Vegetable Casserole
Preparing different types of delicious food is an art. Every people don’t have this talent. Some people learn to prepare varieties of dishes by reading books on recipes or by taking the help of internet.
With the winter season coming Winter Vegetable Casserole is the apt dish to be included in your daily diet. Its healthy, it’s nutritious and on top of it, it uses all the vegetables of the season. So, don’t you think having this dish can be an excellent idea? This dish can be easily cooked within a short period of time and more interestingly, the method of preparing this dish is not complicating at all. You can easily get this homely casserole prepared at home without using much of time in chopping and slicing the fresh ingredients like onion, carrots and all. Besides, there is no need to go for vegetable shopping as you can easily make use of everyday vegetables from your refrigerator in order to prepare a heart-healthy dish.
If you are planning to have this meal at home and you are unaware about the ingredients and the methods of preparing this healthy meal, then let this article guide you on how to prepare this nutritious food.
Ingredients required in order to cook this food includes –
- Celery sticks
- Sweet potato
- Hot vegetable stock
- Garlic cloves
- Pearl barley
- Dried sage
- Salt and pepper
So, these are ingredients that you need to prepare this meal.
If, you are preparing this dish for 4 people then you can follow this guideline.
- Just take two onions and cut each of them into 6 wedges. Then, slice 3 carrots and 3 celery sticks into chunks. Nicely slice the sweet potatoes into chunks. You can take sweet potatoes of about 400 g.
- Put these ingredients in a large flameproof casserole containing home-made hot vegetable stock and boil them. Make sure that you don’t forget to preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4).
- The add finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, thickly sliced 3 leeks, 150 g pearl barley and 2 tsp of dried sage along with salt and pepper into the stock and stir them well so that the ingredients are mixed well.
- Then cover up the container and shift them into the oven and wait until the vegetables have turned soft and the barley is just right.
- Before you serve the dish make sure that you sprinkle parsley above the dish in order to decorate.
So, this is how you can easily prepare Winter Vegetable Casserole for four people at home. You can also add ingredients like turnips, parsnips, and peeled chunks of butternut or kabocha squash when preparing this meal. Instead of stock you can make use of dry cider and for sweetness you can mix chopped ready-to-eat dried pears of 50 g and boil the casserole gently for 50 minutes on the hub. You can stir it occasionally.
Barley is used because of its excellent features. It is known for having a soothing effect on the urinary tract and on the intestines. It is also good for people suffering from barley. It is also good for people convalescing after illness. Even people suffering from fatigue or stress can also have this food. The vegetables are simmered in broth instead of frying because this ensures low fat meal.
This Winter Vegetable Casserole is considered to be rich in vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B6, vitamin C and vitamin E. Besides, it is also an excellent source of potassium and niacin.
Thanks to Francisca for this wonderful recipe, we think you’ll agree it’s well timed and topical. Check more recipes such as vegetable curry from her own blog Urban Rajah . Keep warm foodies and look out for more winter articles soon. Have you got a recipe you’d like to share with us? We’d love to hear from you!