If you desire a lazy night in with lashes of warm melted cheese and buttery crisp pastry, you’ve come to the right place.
This idea came to me whilst craving some gooey comfort food on a lazy night in. It well and truly hit the spot.
Stuffed Baked Camembert wrapped in Filo Pastry:
This recipe is incredible. It’s a crisp pastry filled with warm melted cheese that also oozes onion chutney. You will devour it.
Serves 2 (as a starter)
- 1 Camembert cheese (my favourite is President)
- 1 jar of Red onion chutney (or any Chutney/marmalade. Many people like Apricot marmalade)
- 1 packet of readymade Filo Pastry sheets
- 1 egg or some olive oil
- Optional: 1 loaf of crusty bread (to dip in the cheese- or any other dipping item)
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4. (180c)
2. Unwrap your Camembert from its packaging and slice it in half and plop a huge dollop of chutney on one side.
3. Sandwich the two halves back together.
4. Get your whisked egg (or olive oil) and put into a small pot. Lay out the first sheet of pastry and brush it with the egg mixture. (or olive oil)
5. Place your camembert on this sheet and gently wrap the pastry around it, brushing it with the egg/oil so it sticks together nicely.
6. Use a new sheet and repeat the process until you have 3 or 4 layers of pastry around the cheese.
7. If you have any leftover pastry, you can make a filo pastry rose on top, or just decorate it with a heart like I did. (it makes it look pretty)
8. Now place it on a baking tray and pop it in the oven for 15 mins. (until golden)
9. Whilst you wait for it to cook you can prepare the dipping items. I chopped up some French bread and put more chutney in a dish for extra dipping.
10. Once the baked beauty is finished- take it out the oven and admire it for a few seconds.
11. Place it on a serving plate. Cut into it and watch it ooze out chutney-cheese goodness. You can dip things in it, or eat it with a spoon. My favourite part is ripping a huge chunk of the pastry with lashes of melted cheese sandwiched inside.
If you have any leftovers, you should be ashamed.
Thanks to Heidi Selwood for our latest food piece. Like what you’ve read then why not peruse her Happiness You Can Eat blog?
What’s your favourite indulgence?